About Dave Adams

I have been photographing cars and motorsport events for over 15 years.

In that time, a lot has changed - from the kit that is used to the way social media now plays a major role in getting photographs seen and shared.

Over those 15 years I've adapted as a photographer, embracing each new technology as best I could, changing with the times to try and stay relevant to the shifting demands, as well as the different social platforms.

And whilst Social Media plays a huge part in photography today, I've always tried to maintain some form of personal website, a place where I can make (and break) the rules. This is perhaps seen as a bit old-school these days, after all, content can readily be consumed on Instagram with little effort from both the photographer and viewer, but I enjoy the challenge of developing a platform for my photos to be displayed to my liking.

So, while you are here, please take a moment to take a look at my photos. Updates happen, I just can't guarantee when.

All of the images are taken using natural light, in the surroundings the cars are found in. I'm not a commercial photographer, you won't find photographs that look like they've gone through a whole CGI process, and nor am I a car-spotter, stalking the streets looking for rich kids toys. I'm somewhere in between, but not an inbetweener.


There is a popular saying that 'The best camera is the one you have with you' which seems to have gained traction over recent years especially with the advancement of camera phone technology, but the truth is, the best camera is usually the big heavy one tucked away in a camera bag at the bottom of your cupboard.

So I don't shoot with a camera phone, although these are usually good enough for a quick Instagram Story. I prefer instead to use my Nikon DSLR and a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens. In fact, 95% of the photographs you see here will have been shot with this combination of equipment. The other 5% will have been shot with a Sigma 35mm f1.4 lens.

As I've got older, I've become less and less concerned about the camera and more interested in travelling with the smallest amount of kit possible to get the job done. No tripods, monopods, dual bodies and numerous lenses, just one camera, one lens and pocketful of memory cards.

I've only recently added a battery grip to my camera as I'm trying to take more portrait shots, but this adds to the weight so I'm trying to work out whether the benefits (ease of use, stability) outweigh the downsides (bulk, weight).

My workflow is quite straight forward, backing up everything to multiple disks (slight paranoia) and then cataloging/editing in Lightroom and Photoshop to achieve the final result.

If you have any questions regarding my images, process, equipment or my Social Media accounts, send me an email or drop me a DM on Instagram (links below).

Automotivation Vol.01

By Dave Adams

80 pages / 76 photographs

© 2004-2020 Dave Adams